Tuesday, June 11, 2013

WarGamesCon Hardcore Game 1--eHaley vs Vlad3

So, first game of WGC Hardcore went pretty well!  It's been a few days but I'll try and give the best account I can of what happened (but some details are probably off).

I saw I was paired vs Khador and was PUMPED to have covering fire be ultra-useful against a high-DEF infantry horde.  I arrived at the table to see a Vlad3 Cav list with a Conquest. Damn.  Prior to this game, I'd played 2 practice games with my Hardcore list, so I felt pretty nervous going in.



I ran:
eHaley
-Stormwall & Pods (Bonded)
-Stormwall & Pods
-Squire
Journeyman Warcaster
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
-Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Force

He Ran (I think?) :
Vlad3
-Conquest
Full Uhlans
Full Uhlans
Markov
Man O War Drakhun

I won the roll and opted to go second.

Turn One, my opponent ran things up, and cast Windwall to make a TON of his stuff un-shootable.  That's bad for me.  One Uhlan unit was significantly further to my right than the other, going toward my B13th.

My Turn one, I advanced and got into a pretty good position, but I think that's about it.

His turn 2, more advancing, the Uhlans get closer to the B13th,  the blob of Uhlans in front, Vlad in the middle, and one of the solos in the back all under Wind Wall advance further, unshootably. Conquest wanders into range of my bonded Stormwall.

On my Turn, I mark the squire for an extra focus, I give 3 Focus to the Bonded Stormwall (on my left, well within range of Conquest), Keep 3 on Haley, and give 3 to the other Stormwall.  The Gun Mages activate first and run to Jam the Uhlans in the middle of the board (to the right of Conquest).  Haley activates and feats, catching most of his army, and casts Temporal Acceleration on the bonded Stormwall, who then activates and advances (at speed 9!) into Conquest.  He swings a few times and destroys the Collossal.  My second Stormwall advances and shoots the Drakhun to death, and drops a pod in the way of Uhlans, kills a man in the second Uhlan unit (to my right) with his Metal Storm, etc.  the B13th Shoot and kill 1 Uhlan.

His turn, he sort of flounders through my feat, an Uhlan gets near The Bonded Stormwall.

My Turn, I kill the Uhlan and shoot some more things and leave Haley a little open, so I run the journeyman and place a pod in the way.

During my opponent's turn, Vlad charges the Journeyman, using his impact attack on the pod, and 2 attacks on the Journeyman.  Reaching Haley with sidestep, he misses some attacks and fails to assassinate.

My next turn, I allocate 2 focus to each Stormwall and Time Bomb Vlad, then the first Stormwall finishes him off with PS20 fists.

Win

What did I learn?  

I think I had Haley reasonably well protected, but that game could have ended WAY differently if some rolls went the other way.  I think I need to get more offensive output out of the second Stormwall, but I'm not really sure what he's supposed to be doing when the first one charges something?  The list presented a weird situation where a lot of his models were unshootable (as I had no Aiyana/Holt to give them Magic Weapons.  Curses.

No comments:

Post a Comment