Thursday, February 14, 2013

Game 5--Jarl vs Venethrax 35pts

Headed up to DLair to try and grab a quick game or two-- First game against Venethrax

I brought my normal Jarl list, but subbed out the Mauler for some Gatormen.

He ran something like:
Venethrax
-Reaper
-Skarlock
Full Bane Thralls w/ UA
Min Biles
Tartarus
Gorman
Saxon
Pistol Wraith
Maybe something else? I don't really remember.

I don't remember the game enough to parse it out like I usually do, but It went something like this:

I ran everything forward and so did he, putting his Banes easily within charge range of my Fennblades.  So, I charged, getting about 5 engaged?  They all hit and manage to wound, but ALL  of the banes make their Tough roll.  That's pretty much how the game would go from hereon out. Jarl popped some Bile thralls with MB and managed to take them out, and the Bomber got overexposed throwing some 12" bombs their way.  I feated and placed a bunch of clouds in the way.

His banes stood up and fought back, killing basically all of those Fennblades who failed to kill them. (So I guess they bought me a turn?).  The Reaper got 3 Focus and walked up, and shot the bomber and dragged him into melee where he beat him pretty close to death, then Venethrax ran up and finished him off, and got extra focus for Dragonslayer, putting his ARM WAY too high for me to damage, and me down to a single impaler for fury.  Best case, I'd have to cut 3 times a turn from hereon out to be full up.

My turn, I just did ineffective stuff?  Basically from here it just attritioned out-- I jammed with some fennblades who couldn't kill any Banes, and then the banes wiped them off the face of the earth and something killed the impaler and then Venethrax killed Jarl.

Venethrax Wins--Assassination

What would I have done differently?  Gone after the Bane Thrall UA first thing.  But with Stealth, I don't really know how I'd do that... Run a Fennblade up and shoot him in the back with MB? The fennblades were at their all-time least useful in this game, they just kind of... did nothing?  I should know better than to count on Tough to do anything-- But it's hard not to.

People advised me after the game that I was playing the Fenns too aggressively--That I should try and expose only 3-4 of them initially to sort of butter my opponents up to expose their tarpit unit to a catastrophic countercharge.  So, that's a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment