Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Game 1--pStryker vs Mohsar 35pts

Got my first game in today with the new Cygnar stuff against a friend.  Ran the following list:

pStryker
-Stormwall
-Lancer
-Squire
ATGM+UA
Journeyman
3x Stormcallers

My buddy ran something like:
Mohsar
-Megalith
-Stalker
-Gorax
Bloodtrackers+UA
Stones+UA
Blackclad
Wilder



I got the first turn, set up pretty centrally, with Stormwall just right of the middle so as not to be stuck behind a wall near the center.  Gunmages were on the righthand side, across from where my opponent put his Bloodtrackers

First turns were pretty standard Ran/Advanced everything in order to get into position.  Stryker and Stormwall both got Arcane Shield, Gunmages got Blur and sat on a hill, being careful not to get too close to the Bloodtrackers.

Second turn, I put Snipe on the Gunmages and they just about wiped the bloodtrackers out.  Stormwall advanced, dropped covering fire, and presumably shot big guns and dropped a pod.  In the end I left him too close and forgot to feat with Stryker.  The gunmages with snipe tried to long-range Thunderbolt the stalker out of the Shifting stones (and out of charge range) but no luck. With a combo of Curse of Shadows and Primal, the Stalker did a TON of damage, and left the Stormwall with 7 boxes.

My next turn I felt pretty vulnerable and thought I should try a janky assassination which failed miserably.  My opponent had Megalith up behind a tight triangle of shifting Stones-- Had I killed one stone, or the UA, I would have been able to deny my opponent the ability to charge (or really do anything) with Megalith, which would have been wayyy better than some half-assed assassination.

We kept playing, I attritioned him down pretty far with the weight of a TON of low-pow attacks, and we called the game a draw, after realizing that with a scenario and timed rounds, the game likely wouldn't get to this point where it degenerates between his ability to place pillars of salt and my ability to ping away at his few remaining models while pushing them back, and backing away.

Result: Draw

So, probably my biggest mistake was forgetting to feat-- although had I seen the charge lane, I might have dropped the lightning pod there in order to block it.  After that, I should have been more focused on trying to stay ahead attrition-wise and deny the Megalith charge that ended up killing Stormwall.  

A few things seemed pretty good-- Triangulation between a pod or two and the Stormcallers is an awesome ability.  Stormwall didn't get to do much, but I was pretty impressed by how MUCH he can do in an activation. 

I think the game was so-so.  Pretty rusty on both sides, mistakes were made, lessons learned. I don't think I'm too ready to judge anything based on this one game.

No comments:

Post a Comment