Tuesday, April 9, 2013

It's Been a While... or Why I Play Cygnar Now.


To make a long story short (ish), the last 2 years in gaming has gone like this:  Got into WM/H with Thornfall, but found them lacking.  Played Mortenebra T4 in Hardcore, had fun, actually won games… Needed a “big boy faction” to play… went something like Skorne, Cygnar, Legion.. Then I decided that I just had to dump money into one so deep that I had no choice but to stick it out.  Spent the fall doing a commission (my last, incidentally). Around the Holidays I discovered bartertown, and swapped Legion for Trolls.  Played them, got some more trolls, got dissatisfied, and swapped again for Cygnar.

Why the switch to Cygnar?  I guess I had sort of an intangible sense of dissatisfaction with the faction and where they were headed, but basically, boo-hoo I want to play with a good Collossal that I can justify buying two of. 

TL;DR: Stormwall FTW.



So, what are my plans for Cygnar?  Right now, I’ve got the following painted:
pStryker
Stormwall and Pods
Lancer
Plastic Stormblades w/ UA and 3 WA’s
Oldschool Gun Mages (who, after painting, I don’t hate)
Journeyman

Which is almost enough for my 35 point list (more on that later), with a few more utility solos that need painting up.  But right now the plan is to work on 3 lists (one after the other).
--My First order of business is that I want to work on a Double Stormwall list, which by this point is pretty cliché, but it’s one of my definite goals with the faction, so I feel I should really hammer it out first just to have it done.  To accomplish this I’m either looking at pStryker, Kraye, or Darius. 

Stryker seems toolboxy and gives me access to 2 Arcane Shields (not to mention the feat) for some High-Arm goodness.  Blur and Snipe let him support whatever else he’s bringing—Not totally sure what that would be. So, he’s got all the same problems he does anywhere else where he suffers from being a generalist—He’s not going to run the Stormwalls AMAZINGLY, but the job will get done, and he can answer a variety of situations and help support his army as a whole better than a straight-up Jack Caster.

Kraye brings some pretty good tools to the table for double Stormwalls.  The most obvious being Guided Fire for boosted ranged attack rolls (3 FOC, vs 4 FOC just for boosting the big guns… even more if I decide to actually use the Metal Storms).  Mage Sight has some interesting potential to allow the guns to pick out stealth or concealed targets.  Full Tilt will probably come up sometimes and will have some pretty interesting uses as far as just being able to advance really far... But I can’t see myself casting it Turn 1 and leaving it up for the rest of the game. Finally, the feat definitely has some potential to help get some charges off, as well as change their facing, which I know will matter a great deal with their fields of fire.

Darius in his NQ teir brings some interesting stuff to the Double Stormwall goals. Getting 5 Stormcallers and +2 SPD on Stormwalls the first turn is pretty fantastic. Darius himself brings some potential stuff—Fortify gives the list an ARM buff, and the Feat builds on this to remove ideally a TON of damage.  Jackhammer is interesting to clear some chaff out of the way, or to let SW run and then make attacks on something?  Full throttle helps a good bit with focus efficiency, but only if I plan to make it a REALLY melee heavy turn.  

So, I don't know.  Food for thought.

1 comment:

  1. Cygnar? Really? Well, ok. Paint some Tempest Blazers and post them and I'll overlook your stodgy Stormwall love and his League of Unextraordinary Gentleman... I kid, though. The models I've seen are looking pretty nice. Glad you're back in the game, man.

    ReplyDelete