Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Game 2--pStryker vs eKreuger 35pts

After the sort of disappointing end to the last game, my buddy and I decided to try and squeeze another game in.



I ran the same list, he ran the Mohsar list and just swapped casters out:

eKreuger
-Megalith
-Stalker
-Gorax
Bloodtrackers + UA
Shifting Stones + UA
Blackclad
Wilder
Gallows Grove

My opponent got first turn.  Setup was pretty similar to the previous game.  I had Stormwall anchor my right side.  ATGM ended up opposite the bloodtrackers again.

Turn one my Opponent ran things forward, and TK'd his battlegroup up.  My turn one was pretty active.  Stormwall advanced, Dropped a pod (killing a bloodtracker), and put covering fire up in front of some more of them.  He took a big gun shot at Megalith and missed (needing a 4).  I screwed up the facing, leaving me to shoot the blackclad (which I miraculously hit).  Stryker put Snipe on the ATGMs and they managed to do kill off quite a few of the Bloodtrackers.  Two of the stormcallers killed a couple more bloodtrackers.

So, I started off pretty well off in the attrition game.  But I saw that I'd made the same mistake as I had in the previous game-- leaving Stormwall potentially in charge range of the Stalker without Stryker's feat up.  I had killed the blackclad earlier so he couldn't use hunter's mark to get the extra charge range... so maybe the stalker was out of range.  He ended up running megalith to engage my Lancer (who was screening Stryker), and the Stalker behind that, and ended his turn.

My turn, I loaded Stormwall with Focus, walked up and killed megalith, and put some damage on the Stalker (but couldn't connect reliably because of DEF 14).  I also dropped a pod that killed a few support pieces, and then had the Gun mages (standing still) activate-- One thunderbolted him out of Melee range with SW, and the rest crit brutal'd him to put some damage up, and Jr. Finished him off with a boosted shot and arcane bolt.  Stormcallers triangulated a TON and removed most of the chaff, leaving my opponent with relatively little still on the board.

At that point, we had to take off, and decided to call the game a victory-ish for me.

Result: Win by Attrition

So, I think I by and large improved over the first game. My plan was much more fluid and I was better able to keep my eyes on the prize as far as the attrition game went.  It was dumb luck that I'd killed the blackclad (due to a positioning error on my part), which I think led to the stalker not being able to charge the next turn-- but I should have put my feat up that turn just in case.

Stormcallers are really good.  They're a really interesting way to handle lower-arm models with a surprising deal of relative precision.  Being able to drop pods and triangulate essentially on-demand proved VERY useful.

I'm not sure about bringing a lancer with the list-- His ideal role is to arc a clutch Earthquake onto a pod in order to tangentially knock down a high def target (casters, etc.).  That being said, he doesn't really contribute outside of that situational usefulness, and I'm beginning to feel like the 6 points could be better spent elsewhere.

Once again, Gun Mages with Snipe from pStryker are the MVPs of the game-- Wiping the bloodtrackers out and then going after chaff behind them, as well as being able to push high-threat heavies around is invaluable.


There's a tournament at Dragon's Lair this upcoming Saturday that I'll be planning on bringing a crappy list to, but hopefully it will shed some light on how I want the list to work at 50pts.  (I won't be able to have a 2nd Stormwall though, as mine isn't assembled.)

No comments:

Post a Comment