Saturday, February 9, 2013

First thoughts: Dragon's Lair 35pts Hardcore-ish

So, with only a few hours till I pack my bags up and bike over to Dragon's Lair for a test run through the new Hardcore 2013 rules at 35 Points, I can't help but think about it some.


At first glance, here's what I'm looking at:
-5 Minute Turns (w/ one 2 Minute Extension)
-Killbox is now 14" and essentially a 5 Damage Grievous Wounds hit.
-When you dominate the central zone (and your opponent doesn't contest it), your opponent's caster takes a 5 Damage Grievous Wounds hit.  If 2 casters are in the zone, the active one dominates it.
-There's a zone and tiebreakers and such, so it's not simply an auto-lose if you fail to assassinate.



Thinking about how I'm going to go at the event, I've decided to do nothing special and just treat it as a chance to get in a few more games with my Jarl list.  As of this writing, I'm pretty sure that the list is going to be completely gutted and changed, but I figure it will be a good chance to try out a few things, so here are my goals tonight:

  • Don't worry about the timed turns.  I'm going to play my game, and if I clock myself, that's better than making a bunch of mistakes trying to rush.
  • I want to get some more practice timing Jarl's feat.  It's subpar, but I think with proper timing I can get some use out of it.
  • 2 games in, I'm not much of a fan of Fennblades but I think that if I slow down some and exercise some more patience with their alpha strike, I can get some more use out of them.  This won't help the issue of their survivability, but if I can get more use out of them before they all die horrible deaths, I might reconsider.
  • I'd like to actually use the Bomber's bombs with some success.
  • I'm going to remember Whelps and Rage this time.  I'm pretty sure.

I feel like that's a pretty good set of goals for the night.  We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment